Monday, April 06, 2009

A Field Trip with Truman!

I'm a little behind in my posting...but we have had a few adventures over the last couple of weeks and I wanted to share some of the highlights. At the end of March Truman's class went on a field trip to Seattle. With him being 14 and a few other factors....I decided that I would go as a chaperone. This was not my first choice of things to do that day...but I ended up having a good time and I actually learned some stuff! The first stop was at the Boeing Flight Museum. It was very interesting...and I bet if you are into planes it would be pretty cool. I didn't get any pictures there...kinda forgot I had my camera. Here's Trum on the bus with his friends...acting like a dork!
The next stop after Boeing was the Seattle underground tour. This was fascinating! The short story is that they built the city on a tide pool covered in sawdust. It started to sink and the sewer system was a mess. A huge fire destroyed the whole city and they decided that would do it right this time. They used huge pilings to level everything out...but the business owners didn't want to wait around to build up the ground so they went ahead and rebuilt where they were....the city however built the roads up 10ft. So you would have to climb down a ladder to enter into the buildings. After awhile they built sidewalks on top, so now the lower sidewalks were covered. Between the bubonic plague, prohibition and other stuff the lower sidewalks were all boarded up and now they are open just for tours. Pretty interesting!! Sorry a little history lesson for ya!! The above picture is one of the bathrooms in the underground.
Here is a picture of an old saloon. You can see how the floors are all sinking.
For the most part the kids were very respectful and listened well.
The floors used to to be level with this door jam. The big thing that the kids kept freaking out about...was that there are a ton of rats down there, we didn't see a single one!
Next stop on our Field trip was Safeco Field...Home of the Mariners and now once again, Ken Griffey Jr. (Just had to add that) The Picture above is the visiting team locker room. It is nice but the guide said that it pales in to comparison of the Mariners locker room...of course we weren't allowed over there!!
In the dug, Truman and his best friends, Isaac and Levi!
What a handsome group of fellas!!

The chaperone's...Me and Judy (Isaac's mom)
We ended the tour in the area where they do the press conferences. It was really neat to see a little 0f the behind the scenes stuff and again the kids did pretty well. After this we loaded the bus for the 2 1/2 hour drive home. Did I love the trip....well love would be a strong word...but I did enjoy myself and I enjoyed watching Truman with his peers. All in all a good trip!

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

good to hear the field trip went good! I feel like stacey and I have lovely memories of our parents chaperoning things now its Truman and Taylor's turn :) I had no idea you were in Seattle, so close :) Love ya guys!

one blessed mama said...

almost 10 days, no post!!????
seriously sister,don't even get me started! :)
i know, now that you're a busy buisness owner again, life is crazy. i get that.
hey, are you going to be there on friday? i'm working on a big ol painting job with my dad and if i put a full day in tomorrow and friday, we'll be done. i'll call you tomorrow if i get a min.
have a great night.
love u.

one blessed mama said...

STILL waiting for a new post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)