Tuesday, March 06, 2007

In Support of Cure!

This is an excerpt taken from my sister's MS fundraising website. I have joined her team in trying to raise funds to help find a cure for MS. I encourage you to visit either her blog located to the right and down (the veening's), or my personal donation site (to the right- mswalk) and donate whatever you can...you can help make a difference!!


The Unknowns, the surprises, the gift.

As I sit here right now, I am in the midst of a relapse, I'm numb from my chest down. It's been less than a week ago that my life has been turned upside down by MS. The questions and the thoughts all race through my mind...Will I be able to walk in a week? Will I ever drive again? Will I be able to dance with my daughter or run and play catch with my boys? It's all very overwhelming... but the surprising gift is...I feel God is near. I feel so vulnerable yet so humbled... I have so much to be thankful for. My loving husband, my beautiful children, my family near and far...all of whom are such great examples to me. My friends and co-workers who NEVER let me down! I am so incredibly blessed by you all! I pray they can find a cure for MS so it will no longer be part of my "today" but instead will be gone "tomorrow" and for always!

Why I walk.

As mentioned above, MS is my reality. I was diagnosed in '98 with the form of relapsing-remitting MS. Fortunately, I have had only 2 relapses, and now the third. I have been in a state of denial over the years, thinking maybe I don't really have MS. And for some reason, I have felt a level of embarrassment and sense of shame...like I should of done something to prevent this from happening... It is because of my wonderful support system that I know now that I don't have to hide or feel "less-than" adequate. I want to be an example for others diagnosed with MS and let them know MS doesn't define who you are. We may have MS but it DOESN'T have US! Let's walk (hopefully) together to raise money to find a cure!

Why you should support me!

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society will use funds collected from the MS Walk to not only support research for a cure tomorrow, but also to provide programs which address the needs of people living with MS today. Today more than ever, I am realizing the IMPORTANCE of this cause! I truly believe they are close to an oral medication and getting closer to a cure! This is very personal for me... I would be so grateful for your support! Above all, I believe God is on our SIDE! Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Katie, you are amazing and your words are so powerful! Thanks for posting this Amy!

Laurie said...

Your sister is a beautiful woman with a spirit to match. Here's to a cure ... soon.