Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Great American Egg Drop!

The great American egg drop is a fun little preschool project. You are instructed to create an encasement for a raw egg that is no larger then 7x7x7. You are to fill it up with whatever you think will protect the egg from breaking if dropped from 10 to 15 feet. Then decorate the box to suit your fancy. Kali and I had a great time working on this project. We filled our box with this foam stuff. It was my idea and I really believed to was the perfect thing. Kali decorated her box with tons of princess, pink and purple stickers. It was a beautiful box and was gonna win!! (there are no winners....I just tend to go a little overboard with my competitive nature)
The day was perfect. Sunny, plus we had taiji with us to witness our greatness!! We went to the Velthuziens little mini farm. The kids really enjoyed checking out all the animals.

So cute and curious!!
Tessa and Kali are never far from each other....in fact this is more common then not!
Then it was time for us to test our boxes. Teacher Melinda threw over an egg to show the kids what happens when you don't protect it....of course the first time, It didn't break! ;) This had me confident that our creation would hold up to the test set before us!!
Then it was our turn...here is the box going over the edge floating gently through the air. It landed with a thud...but again still very confident. A couple of minutes later the kids were instructed to open their boxes...Kali opened her box and I took a picture of an egg I thought had withstood the challenge...I told her to go and show her teacher and get her card stating that her egg made it....she returned with a card that said, 'Opps, my egg broke' I looked down and sure enough the egg had hairline cracks all over it!! I felt like a failure!! Thanks goodness Kali isn't as competitive as me and pretty much forgot about it by the time she got back on the bus. I on the other hand am still working through it!!

No comments: